Thursday, March 25, 2010

No Strings Attached

All my 'betic life I've been waiting.Waiting on an illusive number that hasn't once presented itself.



I was close once...at 7.3 Enough to trigger a hasty "Good Job! Now do better" from the endocrinologist.

Instead,I did worse.(the power of reverse psychology on the tender D psyche)

11.5 years,thousands of set changes & pricks & highs and lows later,diabetes is just as hard as it was,starting out.Jump on band wagon,fall off.Repeat process.We do the best we can with what we have,and some people out there who shudder in horror at the thought of anything 8.0 and beyond really won't get the point of this post.Even some type 1's.Most appts,they'll hear "Excellent Job!" and can bask in the glory of that.They don't really understand the others..it's much harder,and when the topic comes up,we clam up.(for obvious reasons) There is still so much judgement out there,even in the D community.Just once,though,I would like to hear a heartfelt

"Well done,Heidi."
(without the addendum)That'd be awesome.I need to get there,for me.(D's can do anything except get a decent a1c?) I want that 6.9.


And I hope this will get me there.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

denise said...

Symlin rocks...when I remember to take it. Once you can get used to the burning and the nausea, it will amaze you how a high carb meal will no longer lead to 300 blood sugars:) I also enjoy the satiety feeling, which I have somehow lost with all the years of D. I can relate to your blog, I've been diabetic 24 years and had my first 6.9 last month, with the help of Symlin and CGM, I'm afraid that my next A1c will not be so good though, it's amazing how if you get a little lazy with the betes, it show's you who's boss! Good luck chasing the 6!
Denise

Scott K. Johnson said...

I'm right there with ya on the A1C's.

It can be so frustrating how there is always room for improvement.

I'm anxious to hear how the Symlin goes for you. I personally like it (like Denise, when I remember to take it) most of the time, but hate it when things go awry.