Saturday, July 27, 2013

Ten Things that I wish the Nursing Profession knew about Hypoglyemia

1. It's called hypoglycemia. It's not called freak-the-heck-out-and-dial-911-itis. Unless I'm unconscious.
2. Stop asking me if I feel better ten seconds after I drink the juice. If its a bad low, I won't be feeling better for another 45(and beyond) minutes.
3. I'm shaking like this because my cells are reacting to being deprived of glucose, not because I'm cold. Although I could be cold as well, piling 50 blankets on me is not going to fix the issue.
4. I can't be held responsible for what I do and say under 70 mg/dl.
5. Stop asking me what I had for breakfast. Totally irrelevant in the present situation, I'm on an insulin pump not NPH.
6. Stop asking me if I'm a brittle diabetic. I will kill you.(not really, but see #4) Hypos happen,most of all to those seeking tight control.
7.Telling me that I look so much better now does not,in fact, make me feel like any less of a zombie post-low.
8. I need a nap. Now. Not your "small bit of protein billion carb pb&j" sandwich.
9. I really,really appreciate a nurse that doesn't do any of the above. You're an anamoly. Thank you.
10. Hypos aren't just physically exhausting, they are embarrassing as well. I hope you get that. I hope you realise it's the last thing any PWD wants to hash out ad nauseum until the cows come home.
-----
Regretfully, I didn't get into the AP study..they made a new rule that if you were non compliant in a past study involving bg testing, then you can't be in any others involving daily bg testing. (for cost saving purposes) Well, I was(in the study 3.5? years ago..apparently I didn't test at least 4x/day. I do so now, more like 6-8x/day but it is what it is. I find it frustrating that they go digging around for obscure reasons to disqualify people though. (the study Endo calls me up to drop the bombshell, I never knew about it till then.)There will be other studies.(another one sometime this fall,that that reason wouldn't disqualify me.)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Love the list.
I'm sorry you didn't get in the study.

Scott K. Johnson said...

Sorry to hear you didn't get in the study, Heidi. That stinks.

Katie said...

This is a fantastic list and 100% true. I would extend it to just saying, "10 Things I wish Every Person Knew About Hypoglycemia"!!

Kelley said...

Love your list! Sorry you didn't make the study though!