Friday, May 18, 2012

Dblog Week: I Want You to Know


Today let’s borrow a topic from a #dsma chat held last September. The tweet asked “What is one thing you would tell someone that doesn’t have diabetes about living with diabetes?”. Let’s do a little advocating and post what we wish people knew about diabetes. Have more than one thing you wish people knew? Go ahead and tell us everything.

Diabetes isn't about the destination, it's about the journey. And that journey just happens to coincide with this little thing called life.

It's there when I roll out of bed in the morning.

It's there when I'm running errands.

It's there when we're out with friends at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

It's there when my car breaks down on the highway & I'm down to my last test strip & I haven't eaten in who knows
how long.

It's there on your wedding day.

It's there when you're in labor,and that jello you ate just came back up.

It's there for a big test, a first kiss, a broken heart.

It never goes away. And it never takes a break. And like the wind, it blows wild and free...it does not like containment or predictability & will come back to smack you in the rear each and every chance it gets.

I've lived with it for 13+ years,and I don't know everything. I'll continue to learn and adapt till my dying day, which hopefully won't be because of diabetes, but I can't say for sure that it won't be. Because with this disease,even if you think you have it "controlled", just one bad series of events can kill you. The flu. A bad hypoglycemic event. Running out of supplies in the middle of nowhere.

So if you do have someone in your life with diabetes,I would encourage you to try and be more understanding & supportive. Diabetes is not a "just do this and you'll be fine" disease. It takes a toll, both mentally and physically. No one has diabetes "figured out"...not your doctor, not the diabetes gurus, & not you.(or me) Your diabetes is not my diabetes, and we must manage it different ways..due to the circumstances in our lives. But one thing I know,diabetes should fit into one's life, not the other way around.

No comments: