Monday, April 19, 2010

Weekend Adventures

I had a pretty nice weekend,(all things considered)on Thursday I went to a ADA/Animas event featuring America's favorite diabetes shrink, Richard Rubin. I have heard him before,he's always a speaker at Children With Diabetes FFL conferences. Animas provides the awesomest snack/meal refreshments...so it had that going for it.(food in abundance) It was held at a private company, after hours,so I had to show ID to get in.(the first time I've ever had to show ID to attend a diabetes event)I met up with someone who occasionally attends the pump meetings,and is sort of around my age(well, more so then 60)& it was cool talking to her again. Also found out that the area has a young adult diabetes group,& they have monthly meetings(bowling, etc.) so I may check that out, at some point.

Friday, my mom came up, and we got stuff ready for the next day's fleamarket.(that's all I did that day)

And from 1 am to 1 pm Saturday, I...

-went from 313 to 171 to 365 to 63 to 157 to 124 to 312(yes, no Dexcom that day)

-was grateful I had a quick acting glucose drink on me when I hit 63, there's nothing like having that quick boost of sugar when there are 12 people simultaneously clamoring for attention and the fact that you're really not totally with it doesn't matter,15 carbs lasts till you have time to devour half the bag of chips and be 157 two hours later.

-figured that I should just go into the battery selling business,everyone buys them. I could pay for an Orlando vacation if I'd simply seriously stock up in the December deals season. Sold out, very quickly.

-raised $12 for the JDRF Walk to Cure diabetes, woot! (sadly,people don't just throw money at me, had to see something else) This is the first walk we've ever done,and have little clue about sponsership and all that jazz. One nice guy even bought extra when he heard what it was for.

-got a sunburn(windy,60 degree weather)

-dumped diet coke all over the comptroller form and have a heck of a time trying to write on it. Maryland is a very taxing state, and limits you to 3 flea markets/yard sales per 365 day period. (without lisence) Other states, they don't give a rap. But for the entrance fee, you get access to a very adequate selling space, and thousands of people flow through every weekend.(free to attend)

-bought more junk

-swapped remaining junk with my mom

-rescued bins/boxes from a slightly confused individual who had decided we were throwing them away. Didn't ask, just took.(there were no signs declaring them free, either)

-got rid of a car full of stuff, but still took a car full home.

Despite that, had a good time...most of the people were polite,and not crazy.

Next morning, I was so sore I could barely move, but according to the Diabetic Athlete's Handbook, delayed muscle soreness is a good thing, because your pooped out muscles will not reach the same level of soreness in the next 6-8 weeks, no matter what you do.You're also not able to convert glycogen as effectively, and may see higher bgs.(true to form,I did see higher bgs) I used it as an excuse NOT to go to the gym that day.

There are several more D-events on the schedule this week,but there's also alot of school stuff to get done, so I'll probably only make it to 1.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a busy and exciting time!