Friday, October 30, 2009

The Smart Insulin & The Dumb Patient

"So basically I can't talk much about it, but yes, it will have to do with extending the action of the insulin."

Smart Insulin- coming soon to an RX pad near you!

Now in clinical trials..and the endo talking to our pump group that Monday evening was successfully making all of our mouths water with stories of a Futuristic World With(maybe out) Diabetes.

It's injected 1-2x a week(think UltraLente on speed) and would be that elusive "work-when-the-bgs-need-it,shut-off-when-they-don't" deal we've all been waiting for. In theory, that is. In reality, I'd have to see it to believe it and it would have to also "sense" bg levels & how in the world do you put that capability into an insulin? It won't be coming to market for a longgggggg time. Fascinating concept though, if it worked, pumps would be a thing of the past.(there would be no need for them, the insulin would adjust itself)

Let's just hope it will work better then this: (Apidra, is anything BUT smart)



but in better news, despite the stupid insulins we're forced to use, sometimes we can celebrate things like this:


(moving on down..I have confidence that I can get it under 7 by my December appointment!)

Being a full-time pancreas is a hard job.

4 comments:

Kelly Rawling said...

I used the A1C SelfCheck (plus three other mail-away-to-lab-for-results A1C kits) within 48 hours of a reading from my endo office.

Here were the results:
Endo: 6.7
Appraise: 6.6
ReliOn: 6.7
SelfCheck: 7.6, 7.4 (using both tests in the kit)

I know, I know, it's never good to compare results from different labs. But really!

Scott S said...

You might catch the presentation made to JDRF New England earlier this year (see http://sstrumello.blogspot.com/2009/07/is-jdrf-donor-centric-organization.html for details). It's still only in very early phases of testing, but it does have potential to kill not only insulin pumps, but also testing supplies as well as nasty hypoglycemia. Let's hope the human clinical trials, which have yet to begin, go well!

Cherise said...

I'm like you "I'll belive it when I see it!" lol great A1C! I know you can get to 7:) hugs and wishing you good luck.

Scott K. Johnson said...

Way to go on the A1C!