Sunday, November 01, 2009

A Different Kind of Pumping

"It's possible."

The nephrologist squinted at the inch-high stack of papers I'd just handed to him and replied...

"Ok, let's see what you have here."

Magic words, those. It's kind of like when an endo actually takes the time to study your logbook vs blowing you off to the diabetes educator. It shows that they CARE, they are actually listening to you.

And he read every page. Every single one. (much to my amazement) A discussion ensued, and he semi-gave permission, pending pharmacy's response. I left that appointment on Cloud Nine.

The pharmacist, however, was another story.(Great Squasher of Dreams)

"You can't. It's too caustic, it would eat your skin alive & You'd need plastic surgery to correct it. Besides, no one has ever done it & we just can't do that."

But then I got a message on an internet message board from someone who actually does it. Who pumps magnesium, subcutaneously. Confirmation that I'm really not crazy and it's totally possible. Of course, she doesn't use an insulin pump, she uses another type of pump but its the same basic concept.

And because angels really do exist, & she knows more about it then the doctors & pharmacy staffed combined..she gave me info & help & even contacted her pharmacy(yep, they ship out of state). There are still many things to be worked out, but come Monday evening I'll be taking that first step and PUMPING magnesium, via my old Deltec Cozmo.(trial run) I am pretty jazzed about that.(and its not caustic, according to her..she takes a heck of alot more of it then I ever will)

3 comments:

asskeeper said...

Heidi,
I am so happy for you. I was going to send you the info for the pharmacy that makes up my pain meds.
Wendy

Scott K. Johnson said...

That is great news! Good luck with it - I'm sure you can make it work for you!

Cherise said...

That's good news! It's amazing how ppl online can be more comforting than doc's and pharmacist. Please keep us posted:)