Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Fall D-Meme

What type of diabetes do you have: Type 1.

When were you diagnosed: December 10, 1998 @ 4 pm.I recall that moment precisely, I was staring at the clock in the exam room when the nurse practitioner told me the news.

What's your current blood sugar:
186, at 5:30 pm.

What kind of meter do you use: One Touch Ping. Occasionally,I will use my Contour USB.

How many times a day do you test your blood sugar:
7-10.

What's a "high" number for you:
150+, but I don't generally do something about it unless I have no IOB..or its 200+. I am sensitive,and drop quickly.
What's do you consider "low": Anything under 80 mg/dl.

What's your favorite low blood sugar reaction treater: Most often, I use juice or tabs. Airheads, Cotton Candy, or Candy Corn are all great ways to treat a low, providing I don't eat the entire bag.

Describe your dream endo: non-judgemental,tireless advocate,deliverer of world-class care,devilishly handsome (if male).

What's your biggest diabetes achievement: I don't have any. As of yet,I haven't achieved an a1c under 7, but I have lived almost 12 years with this disease and I consider that an achievement of sorts.

What's your biggest diabetes-related fear:Blindness. Everything else can be improved upon,(kidney machines,heart meds,etc.) but you can't fix permanent blindness. I love movies, watching the change in seasons,and so much in life that comes from that one sense. That cannot be replaced.

Who's on your support team:
husband, family, friends, local pump support group. And the cats-because I think they want me around as long as possible...to feed/care for them.

Do you think there will be a cure in your lifetime: No. But I do think type 1 will become more like type 2-more stable blood sugars,not fluctuating as much.
What is a "cure" to you: Anything that keeps my blood sugar in a "feel good" range(70-150) and prevents secondary complications. Like an artificial pancreas..I have high hopes for that project.

The most annoying thing people say to you about your diabetes is: "I could never do "that"(syringes,blood tests,diet change, etc.) Well, I'm not doing this because I enjoy a Spartan lifestyle..I'm doing this because I want to have a long and healthy life. You could and WOULD, if it were you.


What is the most common misconception about diabetes: that you get it from eating too much sugar!

If you could say one thing to your pancreas, what would it be: I'm grateful you didn't go totally kaput on me..but you islets are the wimpiest things EV-ER. I would far rather take digestive enzymes then take insulin, for the rest of my life!

No comments: