Thursday, April 02, 2009

Out of the Blue

There are places in this world that clearly, are a very bad idea to go low at.

In the middle of a lake....(one example)

It's been a week of firsts, I've gotten low at two brand-new places. First, at the movie theater. I have never gotten low there and I've been to quite a few movies in the 10.5 years I've had diabetes. (usually high, or barely not high)Bolused too aggressively for the popcorn. Fortuantly, I had juice and gel and was able avoid stumbling down the stairs in search of a sugary drink.It was an emotional low too, and as soon as the theater cleared I let it all out as I'd also lost my hat and it was all too much to handle.We were with some friends, so by the time my husband came back to see where I was, the glucose was back up to 73, the hat was found, and I was ready to be drug off the the Food Court to drown my sorrows in Diet Coke/Chinese food. Thankfully, nothing involving strangers and 911 calls.

The second, was at my dentists. Novocaine is another one of those drugs that pretty solidly seals the 200+ mg/dl post-session numbers but...

"Aheeock?"

"Yes, Heidi?"

(theme music from Karate Kid I is playing softly in the background while the dentist debates his assistant on whether or not Michael J.Fox's wife is really going to leave him.I like my dentist's office + my dentist(just not being there)

"Ahedoheckaheudoooah!"

"What?" he inquires, withdrawing a tortuous looking implement from my mouth.

"I think I'm low and I need to check my blood sugar."

"Go ahead." He patiently waits.

68.

"Yes I'm low I gotta drink juice, sorry!!"

"It's ok, do what you have to do."

Down goes the juice, here comes another cavity! (but I guess dentists have seen it all)

It really goes to show you can't ever just mentally check out and assume you're safe from a low, those lows can come from anywhere and everywhere and you've always got to be on the lookout, check/treat promptly, so they don't turn into major affairs.

3 comments:

Araby62 (a.k.a. Kathy) said...

That would be the one thing I would wish for...just a few hours of not worrying about it. Sigh :(

Glad you're OK!

Caro said...

Dentists don't mind people with low blood sugars swigging the juice. Rather that than have a major low on our hands.

What I do object to is parents who bribe their kids to get their teeth checked by handing them sweets/candy right there in the dental surgery!

Scott K. Johnson said...

Oh man - those are a couple of places that sound downright scary to get low at! Whew!